Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey (2012) 7/10

Starring : Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage
Director : Peter Jackson
Running Time : 170 mins

Quiet conservative Hobbit Bilbo Baggins (Freeman) is forced by wise wizard Gandalf (McKellen) into taking up the challenge of being a thief in part of a quest with thirteen dwarves who need him to travel to the Lonely Mountain to help rid the area of the deadly dragon Smaug who has stolen the dwarves home from them.

I guess I expected so much from this movie that I set myself up for disappointment. I always preferred The Hobbit novel to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy as it felt more innocent and was far more aimed at children, as well as being self-contained and shorter. However, expanding it to three movies, which is pretty much like translating the book as one page to every two minutes - which you could read quicker – made me get really bored really quickly, even though the effects were stunning and the acting fun and lively.

You’ll like this if you liked : Willow

No comments: